Monday, October 13, 2014

Mini-Lesson Write Up

What I will be looking for:
10-15 minute mini lesson
An explicit goal.
A explicit definition of that goal for your peers.
Evidence of modeling the skill, strategy, or goal.
Opportunities for Guided Practice
Explanation of independent Practice

Actual Write-Up
Mini-lesson (bulleted mini-lesson)

Description of reader workshop routine (Grade level, how often, level of student choice)

This mini lesson will be designed for a first grade classroom. The students will do readers workshop three times a week with a book of their choice that is in their reading level. I will have a series of books set up in the classroom library sectioned with different reading levels and genres such as non-fiction, fiction, science fiction, etc. After students meet with me and I have seen they progressed, students will be able to move up a level.


Goal
Common Core R1: Pausing and predicting. Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences by it.
Explicit Definition
Students will be able to make predictions about the content they are reading. Pausing during reading and thinking about what is going to happen next is expected.
Model
I will start off by explaining to my students what the definition of predicting is. Predicting is the ability to say or estimate what will happen in the future or will be a consequence of something. I will ask the students if anyone has ever heard of predicting or has thought about what is going to happen when reading. I will explain to my students that pausing and thinking about what is happening throughout the book will help make for more knowledgeable predictions.
Guided Practice
I will start off by reading the title of the book to my students, Jason's Bus Ride. I will ask the students how many of them are already thinking about what the book is going to be about. Asking my students a series of questions such as, "where do you think Jason is going?" will get the students thinking. On page 11, I will pause and ask my students why they think the bus stopped? Following up with having the students turn to a student on the carpet and tell them their prediction about why they think the bus stopped. Throughout the book I will pause and ask the students what they think Jason will do about the bus being stopped. Or if he will do anything at all? I will explain to the students that it is okay for their predictions to change.  
Independent Practice
After reading the book out loud, I will have the students go back to their seats and begin reading their level books. While reading, I want the students to write before they begin reading about what they think the book will be about. I will also have the students write down their predictions throughout the book. Once they are done reading they will be able to compare their thoughts and predictions at the beginning of the book, to what actually happened in the end.

Readers Journal

Section
Description
 Personal Goals
Each student will keep a journal and create personal goals for themselves about what they want to accomplish. For example, a student might have a goal to read without using their finger. Another example could be active reading, which means keeping notes about what they've read. Looking for cause and effect events that happen or looking for descriptive words are examples of active reading.
 Reflections
I will have the students write in their journals a small reflection about what they read. This will include a basic summary of the book, or I will put up a question on the board to have students answer. This will show that the students actively read and understand the content. For example, I will have the students write about their favorite scene in the book and why. This will help me see what the level the students are at with active reading as well.
Reading Log
For the reading log portion of readers workshop the students will be assigned to read at home and keep a reading log. I will have the students write down the book they read and how long they read for. It's important that the student's parent or guardian signs off on the paper so I know the students are reading.
Genre Guide
Students will have the opportunity to pick through different genres such as science fiction, non-fiction, fairytale, etc. I will have the students write down which genre they chose for that particular day to make sure the student is switching up the genre. It is important that the students are reading different genre's so they don't get used to reading a certain type of book. Different genre's will also help the student's be more interested in the content they are reading.




2 fictional conferences
Goal: Be able to pause and make predictions
Sarah and Matt





Sarah:  During my conference with Sarah, I got down to eye level to really connect with Sarah. I started off by asking her what she read and what she predicted the book was about. After she told me her prediction, I had her read a few pages in her book to see how fluent her reading was and make sure she was on the right track with her level book. While she was reading I had her pause and tell me what she thought would happen next. Without telling her, she wrote down her first prediction and then continued to read. She still uses her finger to read, however can read at an accurate level. After the book she was able to tell me that her prediction changed and she was not expecting that to happen. I asked her a series of questions such as "Would you recommend this book to one of your friends?" What was your favorite part?"

Matt: During my conference with Matt, he was very excited to tell me about his book. I enjoyed listening to how much he enjoyed reading his book. I first asked him a little summary about his book to show that he actively read. I then asked him if he could tell me a prediction about what the book was going to about? Although he read it before I was able to conference with him, he told me what he first thought the book was going to be about. I observed him write down his prediction and then write down how his prediction changed. While Matt read out loud to me, I had him paused and asked him what he thought was going to happen next. With his quick answer it showed me that he had been thinking about his predictions throughout the book. At the end of the book I asked him if he enjoyed the book and would want to keep reading books such as this one? I then asked him if he could reflect about the book to a friend or relative.

1 comment:

  1. Jehna,

    Good job. The modeling and guided practice you offer align to your goal. There seems to be a little confusion over the explicit definition. You need to define prediction for your students. It is quick but as part of every mini lesson you define the strategy or goal you are working on.

    I thought your readers' notebook was set up in a manner that will help move students down a more literate path.

    ReplyDelete