Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Prewriting

Prewriting is a great tool to use to really organize your thoughts in a way that is easiest for you. The easiest for me I find is first creating topic sentences for each of the paragraphs I am going to be writing about. This will help me to create more ideas under the topic sentence. I also find that using diagrams such as a t chart if im writing about the similarities and differences is very helpful. However, as much as I don't want to admit it prewriting is something I don't do very often. For me, writing my thoughts in one try and creating a draft is easier for me. However, I was forced in high school during my English classes to always prewrite which helped me, but since its not really pushed in college I don't use it as much as I should. This doesn't mean I will tell my student's it's not useful because it is. Prewriting can be very helpful for students especially because sometimes elementary school kids struggle with getting their ideas written out on paper. They know what they want to say but have trouble writing about it. Venn diagrams, t charts, and other organizational tools will be stressed for my students to really get their ideas out on paper.

1 comment:

  1. You found it useful in high school because pre-writing will always improve your writing.

    Even if it is a few bulleted points instead of every topic sentence, every bit helps. In fact just an a list of points maybe more efficient. You never know the exact number of paragraphs you need.

    We also use headings in academic writing (Google APA 6th Headings for more info) so these points and sub points can translate into your Heading levels.

    ReplyDelete